Happy Birthday, Pup! If you've got the time, here's a great recipe for a healthy, dog-friendly birthday cake to help you celebrate.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (2floz) flavorless oil
- 1/3 cup (4oz) applesauce
- 1/3 cup (2 ½ oz) peanut butter (should be smooth, not salted, and free from xylitol)
- 1 cup (5oz) carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup (5oz) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- *additional peanut butter for frosting, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and line 2 (6-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, apple sauce, peanut butter, carrot, and honey until smooth.
- Next, stir in the flour and baking powder until combined. Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cooling in the pan for 3-5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature.
- Stack layers together using a thin layer of peanut butter. Cut a little slice and serve…
- Cover the cake with cling wrap and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze the rest in slices to give as a treat in the future.
Where do I find flavorless oil and can I use AP flour?
Judy Thomson on
I’m gonna make it for my dog .. For my birthday lol
Devin FELLER on
Can I use all purpose flour?
Thank you for this recipe. I am going to try it.
Victoria Segundo on